+ Reply to Thread

Default door painting issues

We want to update our bath to include white beadboard and white trim; the rest of the house is a stained light oak trim, including the door currently on the bathroom. Would we paint the back (inside) panel of the bathroom door white to match the rest of the bathroom trim and beadboard and leave the oak stain on the other side of the door, replace it with a white door (that wouldn't match trim on the outside when the door is shut), or do some other solution? How do you deal with door color when two rooms differ on the trim color/stain on either side of the door?

Default Re: door painting issues

You should be able to paint the interior side of the door with relative ease, but you've got to make sure that your primer and top coat are going to stick to whatever the finish is that's already on the door. Do a test, with both the primer AND with paint over primer and see how it adheres.

1 - Start with a TSP wash of the interior side of the door, this will clean and etch the surface ready to accept the primer.
    2 - Prime with Zinnser Bull's Eye 123 or with Kilz original primer. Bull's eye is a latex base, Kilz is an oil base.
    3 - Choose a good brand of paint for your top coat. I prefer Kelly Moore, but any of the name brand paint dealers will suffice. I have yet to use a Behr product that cures or sticks or even applies well, so I never recommend those, however, there are those here that swear by the brand. Your mileage may vary.

Once you've done your test, prime the entire door with two coats, followed by two coats of paint. Be sure to remove the doorknob and any other hardware on the door, but leave it on the hinge, as it will be easiest to work with in place. Just don't paint or slop paint all over the hinges. Use a good quality brush, such as a Purdy or Baker brand.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Door sides are normally painted with the rooms they face when closed. Obviously, this can cause doors opening into a room to which they don't match. This is the biggest argument for keeping woodwork treatment the same through the entire house. However, I don't think it would look bad to have a nice oak door opening into and against nice white wood trim. It would look far less odd than having a single white door facing into a hall full of otherwise natural woodwork.

I recently updated my powder room with new tile flooring and beadboard. I will confess the beadboard is actually the textured beadboard wallpaper. I wanted something easy for a homeowner to remove if they didnít like the style, or if I want to change out the counter later.

I kept my door unpainted. (Pictures are here: http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...?sort=3&page=1)

If you decide not to paint your door, bring some wood or wood tones into the decorating of your bathroom. I am not finished with mine, but there is a small wood shelf and eventually there will be an oak cabinet with glass door on the wall over the toilet. You could have some artwork with wooden frames, antique shelf, or other accents with wood to make the wood door fit in. For me, all white was too cold feeling Ė probably because I live where there is snow outside half the year.

I noticed when I went through the Parade Homes last year that there is much less matching of woodwork throughout the new homes. Kitchen cabinets no longer have to match bath cabinets or laundry cabinets, and trim color is also often different. Upper and lower kitchen cabinets and islands are sometimes different.

I understand painting the door though. I did that in my last house and liked it. Follow the directions given above by the previous posters.

Many folks don't know where to stop painting with a two-colored door. The idea is than no matter the position of the door, what you see should always match the side you're looking from.

The easy way to remember it is to stand back on one side with the door halfway open. The exposed side and edge you see match that side. Step through to the other side and do it again. One face and edge will be one color with the other face and other edge the other color.

It may be just me, but when I see a door painted incorrectly such as 3 sides being the same color it drives me nuts

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 03-30-2014 at 09:02 AM.