+ Reply to Thread

Default pool of condensation

Hi there, Can you help? I finding water, not on the sill, but rather under the window sill on the inside. The cheaprock is wet and has crumbled. Where would I start to look for the water infiltration? I was told it was condensation but I noticed that when it rains this spot gets wet. Could it be coming in from around the window or the roof? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: pool of condensation

Hi again, I still need a response. I am now thinking I could get a company who has infrared detection to detect from where the water is coming. Could this be expensive? or should I do something else that is not so over the top?
    It is a triplex and the leak seems to be only in one place. Thanks

If it gets wet when it rains, you've answered your own question- there's water coming in from outside. And that has a usual, simple method of diagnosis and repair. Once you get that sorted out, any more water might be condensation but unless your indoor humidity is quite high re;lative to the outdoors, it is unlikely.

On the outside you need to look carefully around and above the window, then fix any place where water might enter. If you can find nothing, there's a slight chance water may be coming in through the lower roof, then draining where the window is at making it appear as if the window is leaking. Betcha it's the former- go have a look.

Phil

Thanks for your help. I'm wondering if infrared thermal imaging cameras to detect leaks is a way to detect from where is it leaking. I would like to avoid breaking the walls . Can this method detect leaks from outside also?

Thanks for your help again and again.

Maybe the thermal imaging would show this, maybe not. Usually a visual/physical inspection will do the job at a much lower cost. Besides, thermal imaging wasn't designed to detect water leakage so I wouldn't see it as worthwhile for this as you'll probably find it useless for this purpose. Use the right tools for the job for the best results!

Phil