+ Reply to Thread

Default Foundation/roofing after sill repair

Hello, I have been have having crazy panic attacks about my house built in Massachusetts in 1980. I have lived here for 4.5 years. In the spring I started noticing cracks occurring quickly in my walls. I called a structural engineer and he said replace some joists (which I haven't been able to afford yet) and my sill was rotted. He also stated that I needed support posts to hold up a beam and to replace two temp support posts in basement. He told me that he would charge me 2500 to write up the plans. I called a general contractor who specializes in the field and he said I didn't need the plans. He replaced about 10 feet of the sill and replaced the temp posts. Now it's five months later and I'm noticing other scary stuff.
    The cracks are still occurring. (Is this settling) hard wood floor seem to be separating slowly, I hear pops and cracks on occasion, my roof(four years old) seems to be shifting. It's like the metal has lifted and I have noticed bees flying in there. The gutters look like they are hanging by a thread and i have found roofing nails(like six) throughout the summer on the ground. Some of the ceilings in my home have cracked and one wall has bowed a little. I've had the carpenter back and he said he could repair but noting looks life threatening. Also I've had new cracks in foundation which is stone. I don't know if I'm paranoid or not as my tenants, who are friends say its fine. I feel like the house is pulling apart. In the middle. After 15,000 in repairs to home this year I can't afford much. I have roofer coming back because I can't get on roof. Also, the cracks around the windows have worsen and many of the exterior doors are sticking. And the wooden panels in my kitchen seem to be separating a tiny bit and three random holes occurred two months ago. I can also notice in some of my walls what appear to be nails. But they still have paint and plaster over them.
    What do I do with limited funds for sake of mind through the winter? I'm not great at measuring therefore I don't trust fixing anything. I have pictures if interested. Also, I don't entirely know which cracks are new or old. (An insurance adjuster said it looks like a person took out out a support beam before I bought the house. Ps I didn't get any funds for insurance.) I can't see into the roof because space between ceiling and roof is only about 15 inches.
    Lastly, I had inspection for insects but the man said some of the wood that looked eaten (but still okay via engineer) was old termite and powderpuff damage.
    Could the sill replacement caused more damage or settling? What do I do first? And what signs am I looking for?

Default Re: Foundation/roofing after sill repair

The very first thing I would do is get a perimeter termite system in place. You can call a pest control company to do this for you, they will charge about $1500 for putting in the system and about $25/month for monitoring. You can do it yourself, its not hard to do. You can get the system from Home Depot for around $200. If you have had termites, it is likely you still have them.

Next, you have to find where the water is intruding into you house. I'm afraid to say it is probably due to a bad roofing job. Is this a shingle roof or tar and rock? I get the impression that it is a very shallow pitched roof if you only have 15" between the roof and the ceiling.

The pest control and inspector said it was all old but will check again. Thanks.

Roof is shingled.

The odds of finding an active infestation of termites is very slim unless you use a trained termite dog. The bait stations used in the older spectricide system would eventually detect termite activity, but now pest control companies go straight to the control bait and inspect it every 6 months.

What is the pitch of your roof? Is it fairly shallow? Was it always shingles?

I don't know the pitch but this is a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101822290@N02/9755035333/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101822290@N02/9754762652/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101822290@N02/9754763162/

Interesting. So, I can't really tell if I have termites. I just treat for them.....

There is a pitch and it has shingles and im pretty sure it always has.