+ Reply to Thread

Smile My Peerless Oil Burner settings.

My Furnace guy here in Lower Vermont said to turn the Low setting to OFF and set the high to 190 Degrees. He explained that since I only use the furnace in Winter and not for Heating the house hold water(I use a Electric Hot water heater), that in order to save on OIL that the furnace only needs to come on when a call from the thermostat is made for heating the house. Is this the proper way to do it?
    Last edited by cnaray; 05-04-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default Re: My Peerless Oil Burner settings.

cnaray:

I can't tell from reading your post if you have a boiler (uses hot water to heat radiators or baseboard) or a furnace (uses hot air thru ducts).

It is quite common to shut down a boiler during the summer as you describe if it is used only for heat.

Do you have the owner's manual for your Peerless unit??---it describes a shutdown procedure usually using a small amount of sodium chromate for corrosion protection if it's a boiler.

Please post back with more info.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 05-05-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Smile Re: My Peerless Oil Burner settings.

Its a boiler and I have baseboard heating. The unit is fed from my water softner and there fore I don't worry about mineral deposits and all I was told to do is just shut it off. What I'm interested in is during the heatting season can I run my boiler as I was told, with the LOW setting turned off and the high setting set to 190 deg? Thanks

I don't see any problem during the heating season in turning down the "low setting" and leaving the "high setting" at 190 degrees---but you could run into real problems if you just turn the boiler off for the summer.

Could you advise how old this boiler is & the model number (found on the face plate/name plate of the boiler)---most hot water boilers develop problems when they are shut off for the summer---1) the cast iron boiler sections can separate by a fraction of an inch & allow boiler water to leak into the combustion chamber---you'll think the house caught on fire with the amount of steam you get when the system is turned on again in the fall; 2) the circulator pumps in the system are usually water-lubricated & can seize up when activated the following heating season; 3) condensation can occur in an unused boiler (especially in a damp boiler room) causing some boiler corrosion; 4) air pockets & crud accumulation in the boiler/baseboard piping can make some baseboard elements inoperative (no heat) when the heating season arrives.

It's often a wiser step to turn on the heat at night for at least a few minutes once a week throughout the summer to avoid all of these potential pitfalls---the amount of oil you use will be less than $5 for the entire summer---if even a minor problem like a circulator pump seizes up you'll have to pay several hundred $$$ to have it replaced---not worth it.

Never drain the "old existing water" from the boiler if you can at all avoid it---the old water has been depleted of most oxygen & thus will prevent corrosion---adding new water to a boiler introduces entrained air that separates out when heated and is the main cause of metal corrosion.

I can't understand why an electric HWH was put in if you have a HW boiler---it's much more economical to put in an indirect HWH---the periodic boiler firing you get with an indirect HWH is an ideal way to keep the boiler in tune thru the summer & get a great deal on all the domestic HW you need.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 05-08-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Its a 1997 Model WB-150-WPCT Serial WB 38329-0292 1.5 Gal/hr Lt. Oil Water Cap of 178000 and Rating of 155000. I thank you for your advice.

The Electric Water Heater has saved me a lot as compaired to using the Oil Furnance to heat it. I think if I leave the Low setting at 120 degrees and not turn it completely off I could get the furnance to turn itself on at least once a day for a short period of time and use a lot less oil. I thought leaving it off all summer long may be a problem, but with the cost of oil, I was going to give it a try. Sounds like you are totally against that. I call it a furance, but I use it to heat the baseboards and its a closed water(not steam) 2 zone system. Sorry I'm not very technical with this.

Again, Thank You for your advice.
    Last edited by cnaray; 05-12-2009 at 12:38 AM.

I couldn't find anything on the WB-150; the Peerless site (below) lists a WBV-150 with a similar output as a residential unit---probably the same.

Click onto the link below then onto "products" then onto "residential boilers", then onto WBV---if the picture looks like your boiler, ask the serviceman if he can de-rate the nozzle inside the boiler.

De-rating simply installs a smaller nozzle for the 1.50 gpm one in there now---you can save $150 or more over a season if they can put in a 1.25 gph, or even a 1.00 gph nozzle.

This will drop the boiler output to about 125-130k btu/hr instead of 155k btu/hr & cause longer burn cycles, where the burner will fire slightly longer on cold days, but this is desireable.

Multiply the total sq. footage of your house (including boiler room) by 40 to get a rough heat loss---if the result is relatively close to 130k, a de-rate should be successful.

A good time to do this is when they come over for the annual cleaning---often, they may want to do a combustion analysis to adjust the burner air mix & fuel pump pressure.

http://www.peerlessboilers.com
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 05-12-2009 at 11:30 AM.

On this subject, we have taken our Peerless WBV-05-150-WBCT boiler off of heating residential hot water and moved to a GE Geospring hybrid heatpump hot water heater.

Now the boiler is only needed to heat our hot water baseboard heating in the Vermont winters. Our basement is dry and about 60-65 degrees all year. Our house is a 1907, 1300 square foot, four square, but we've insulated it top to bottom and have lots of solar gain. We usually don't use heat for 5-6 months a year.

When summer comes we want to use at little oil as possible now. Our plumber said to keep the boiler set at 120-140degrees during the summer to keep the seals from contracting and possibly causing leaks, but this would use more oil then we'd like. Other folks say to just set our programmable thermostats to come on for 30 minutes every week. Others say cycle the system only once a month for a few minutes and it will be fine.

We're confused about who to believe.

calebjc:

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how much periodic boiler firing would be necessary in the warm months to prevent seal deterioration on the WBV Peerless series HW boilers.

There are quite a few documents by Peerless that have been posted on the internet if you Google "Peerless boilers Series wbv/wv"

You can also call Peerless directly at 1-877-257-3300 to see if they can direct you to someone in the TECHNICAL DEPT who can advise you.

This model boiler has a combustion chamber assembled with steel push nipples that do tend to deteriorate if the boiler is not fired periodically; a thorough cleaning of the combustion chamber IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE HEATING SEASON immediately before layover is recommended to remove as much combustion byproducts from the push nipples as possible..