+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to remove pex connection from copper pipe on water heater drain line.

Last water heater replaced by plumber - he used PEX connectors to the safety valve and drain line. The valve needs replacing, a straightforward job I can do myself. Anyone know how I can disconnect the PEX from the copper fitting?
    Last edited by Lloyd Lee; 09-13-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add photos

Default Re: How to remove pex connection from copper pipe on water heater drain line.

removing them was a major pain in the a**. i gave up on trying several years ago until one day i had an idea. i assume you're talking about removing the metal band that secures the pex to the copper fitting. the first time i tried this i ruined the fitting but by the second time and every time since it's been a piece of cake with no damage to the fitting at all.

i use grinders all the time so i'm pretty adept at using it. all i do is cut them off with a metal cutting disk attached to my grinder. now, the tricky part. you can't cut at a 90 degree angle to the band or you'll cut apart the fitting. you have to cut basically in the same direction that the band is going and move the grinder from side to side. FYI, i don't recommend this to most people as it can be quite dangerous and i won't let any of my employees do it but i've got it down to a science over the past few years and i can take a metal band off a pex fitting in about 10-15 seconds now.

also, i'd live to know if anyone has any other methods for doing this....perhaps something safer that doesn't take 5 minutes.

Default Re: How to remove pex connection from copper pipe on water heater drain line.

My advice: call the plumber

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    My advice: call the plumber
    good advice

Use a Dremal tool with a cut off disk.
    It will allow you to cut the band at a 45 with no damage to the fitting.

If you mean the crimp clamp I have a clamp removal tool but do not use it. I have found I can bend the small tab with wire cutter pliers and then use a screwdriver to disengage the clamp. Works great and does not damage the fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    If you mean the crimp clamp I have a clamp removal tool but do not use it. I have found I can bend the small tab with wire cutter pliers and then use a screwdriver to disengage the clamp. Works great and does not damage the fitting.
    those types of clamps are much easier to undo. the ones i'm referring to are the ones used for the Fosta Pex

I looked at a You Tube to see what they look like and I agree they must be a PIA to remove. A Dremel work work with the cutoff tool. I would be concerned that the PEX would get nicked and cause a problem however.

They do make a tool for this. But by code you are not supposed to use Pex for the T&P line. You should call a Plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by MSSP View Post
    They do make a tool for this. But by code you are not supposed to use Pex for the T&P line. You should call a Plumber.
    This especially.

Call a plumber if you're not comfortable dealing with this yourself. Based on your description it should be a relatively cheap and easy job.

Phil