+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Widows

Default Re: Black Widows

You need to get yourself a nice little Chianti and then fry those little bastards up in a pan. Good eat'n right there!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You ain't kidding spruce. Some of them were giants, enough to make a meal and satisfy a chicken.

Next, will be the squirrel, which shows up when the oranges start to ripen (December).

dj1, did you find any effective solution for squirrel? I love you black widow solution , I do same with snails, seems to be working. And squirrels show up for strawberries and peaches when they start to ripen
    Last edited by olunicus; 11-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olunicus View Post
    dj1, did you find any effective solution for squirrel? I love you black widow solution , I do same with snails, seems to be working. And squirrels show up for strawberries and peaches when they start to ripen
    Your common squirrels are very smart cookies: most baits and poisons from the garden supply stores don't kill them (EPA rules?) and once they find your ripe food, they treat them as theirs. You can try trapping them (Haha, good luck). I just surrender and split the produce with them, or harvest fast, before they have a chance to.

Black Widows rarely kill people but they can make you awfully sick for awhile. Brown Recluse spiders are usually a far bigger problem. Unlike Black Widows, Brown Recluses will not try to run away from perceived danger- they fight back immediately when threatened, plus they can (and often do) cause much worse medical problems. Neither is welcome in or near my home either!

Squirrels can be a big problem, as trapping them and relocating them does not prevent other local populations from expanding into the space you just cleared and you're not going to get them all anyway. If permissible, shooting them is the best solution but you usually can't do that near populated areas so all you can do is deter them through the use of squirrel guards like tree collars and line protectors for wires they crawl across to get to your trees. They can jump pretty far, especially at downward angles so you also have to keep them out of surrounding higher trees too. Having yard pets keeps them from spending much time on the ground- dogs seem to do this better than cats (who only chase critters when they feel like doing it). Removing their food supply where you can will also minimize the local squirrel population so collect all the acorns and nuts you can before they can get to them. I don't like the idea of poisons for anything larger than bugs, especially because most poisons and methods of use are quite non-specific and can easily affect other critters you don't want to harm.

In the end you can't really get rid of the tree rats so you just have to live with them as best you can or eat them- they make a pretty darn good stew!

Phil

The oranges on my orange tree are ripe. That means, there is one squirrel which comes every day to steal them. It is very territorial and fights with other squirrels, not letting them near the tree. Only one thing: it's my orange tree, not its.

Since there is almost nothing I can do about this smart ass squirrel, I go out and pick all the oranges in one day. It could be today or tomorrow.

There is another way, dj. Have you ever tried this?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There is another way, dj. Have you ever tried this?
    Amazingly Spruce, I don't feel like having stew right now.

Stew is comfort food for when it gets chillier, give it a month or so.