+ Reply to Thread

Thread: veneer brick

Hybrid View

Default veneer brick

Can I screw in screws into brick veneer? The bricks are about 2" thick. Is there a danger they would split?
    Thanks

Default Re: veneer brick

predrill a hole then screw into the substructure behind it. if you use an expansion anchor the chances are pretty high that it will split the brick

Thin veneer brick or cultured stone isn't structural and isn't intended to carry any load other than itself. At 2" it might not split if you use Tapcon screws near the center, but only trying will tell. The only safe alternate if you can't do what MLB suggests is to epoxy anchors in place.

Same as with thin laminate flooring you can get a "look" cheap, but it's value is only surface deep and that is why I'm a traditionalist who prefers the real thing. You can't argue with historically proven success but you can make a cheaper product or method and hope it will last!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Thin veneer brick or cultured stone isn't structural and isn't intended to carry any load other than itself. At 2" it might not split if you use Tapcon screws near the center, but only trying will tell. The only safe alternate if you can't do what MLB suggests is to epoxy anchors in place.

Same as with thin laminate flooring you can get a "look" cheap, but it's value is only surface deep and that is why I'm a traditionalist who prefers the real thing. You can't argue with historically proven success but you can make a cheaper product or method and hope it will last!

Phil
    Thanks for your help. I could have made matters worse rather than better. Is brick veneer different from
    real brick? What are the differences? When I bought my home and I saw brick, I thought it was brick but I see now it is pretty granular. Does it soak more water?

Thanks

all bricks are different regarding what they're made up of and regarding how much water can permeate through them. veneer brick can be anywhere from about 1/2" thick up to about 2" thick.

Post Re: veneer brick

The brick maybe what is known as cut brick.
    Installed like Stucco joints are cut before mortar hardens.
    It is hard to tell cut brick from the real brick by looking at it.
    One way is to see how the color matches with the joining bricks.