+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New house and cracks already!

Track the spread of the cracks;

1- Number the cracks for reference. make a chart
    2- Take pictures. some close, some far away
    3- Measure the cracks length and width once a month always on the same day of the month
    4- Keep a written log of the cracks
    5- Buy calipers if you need to measure the cracks
    6- Use an old trick- place 2 stamps (the kind connected by perforations) one on each side of the crack to detect both horizontal and sheer movement.
    7- Draw a hash mark perpendicular across the crack to detect movement

You may find;
    1- You're not paranoid
    2- There are seasonal changes
    3- You'll have proof for an engineer / lawyer aside from the "rantings of a crazy home owner"
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 09-13-2013 at 02:01 PM.

There is a one year warranty on the house. There are 14 cracks that I just photographed and documented. Need to find out if these are settlement cracks or structural cracks.

This is a new house? I've been in a house a couple of months with a crawlspace / basement that is having similar issues but it was build in 1970.

This isn't cinderblocks is it? I'm surprised modern architecture hasn't designed a better way to build a basement by now.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT -- This thread was from last September, 2013.

I'm surprised modern architecture hasn't designed a better way to build a basement by now.
    They have. But apparently the OP's builder doesn't know that. (Hairline cracks in concrete are normal and should be expected. Gaps and vertical/lateral movement are not.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT -- This thread was from last September, 2013.

They have. But apparently the OP's builder doesn't know that. (Hairline cracks in concrete are normal and should be expected. Gaps and vertical/lateral movement are not.)

OK, interesting to learn that then.

Let's not b dramatic calling a thread zombie that was at the top of the TOH 'Your New Home' Discussion list please. That type terminology is usually reserved for the bowels of the gaming / pirating forums. A zombie process is one that can't be reaped without rebooting an entire system, clearly not the case here. I am very surprised a post with the last post activity of September 2013 was at the top of the list of the threads in TOH Discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfleet View Post
    OK, interesting to learn that then.

Let's not b dramatic calling a thread zombie that was at the top of the TOH 'Your New Home' Discussion list please. That type terminology is usually reserved for the bowels of the gaming / pirating forums. A zombie process is one that can't be reaped without rebooting an entire system, clearly not the case here. I am very surprised a post with the last post activity of September 2013 was at the top of the list of the threads in TOH Discussions.
    Sorry about the drama, didn't mean to come across as so alarmist!

By default, the thread with the most recent reply always appears at the top of the list -- it's not sorted by relevance or "hot topic" though you can sort by various column headers. Before the recent reply a couple of days ago, it would have appeared on the first PAGE of threads, though not necessarily at the top (until the reply a couple of days ago).

The biggest problem with resurrecting an old thread is when one gives advice to the original poster. On this forum, there are a few regulars, but most people post once or twice, visit back for a week or so, then disappear forever. So giving advice to the original poster of an old thread is unlikely to help the original poster. (I will concede that it may help another visitor with a similar issue who stumbles across the thread.)
    Last edited by Fencepost; 07-22-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I may have not posted had the thread not been about cracked concrete walls but at any rate I'm glad I didn't offer them advice. A home that new should have the builders out looking at it.

Well these forums are odd anyway, I've made two posts here, one of them to a thread I started, and the posts don't show up. Nothing shocking or no rude language at all in the posts at all.

At any rate, I think I've got a plan to fix my cinder block wall, only $500 - $800 if I do the work but I was hoping for advice from experienced folk but they'd be busy using their experience I guess.

I did also find a product / web site that has one drill in the concrete where a crack is and then fill with a liquid that 'foams and seals' the crack on contact with water I may try out. It's $199 to fix about 15 foot (more or less $199 a gallon of that polystyrene or polyurethane or whatever that substance is).
    Last edited by Norfleet; 07-22-2014 at 10:04 PM.