+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default New house and cracks already!

Hello
    I am new here and am looking for some insight. I just purchased a home 2 months ago, It is about a year old and we are the first owners. It is a two story farmhouse colonial and has an unfinished basement. I noticed a diagonal vertical crack on one of the interior walls in the basement. Since we have been there I have counted 8 more cracks. Some are near the corner of the window which I know are common and others in the walls. None are horizontal. I also noticed a crack on the floor. We have been there exactly two months.
    Well this morning the house was making such loud popping and cracking noises. I went to investigate and there is a new crack on the floor in the basement. Also some of the the baseboards look like have pulled away slightly from the wall, I believe the nails were popping perhaps. I know houses settle in the first couple years I think but I am worried that this is excessive cracking and there is something wrong with the foundation. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Isabelle

Default Re: New house and cracks already!

you're correct that within the first few years that cracks can appear. vertical ones are "usually" not a concern but it does depend on the size and depth of it. now, when you say that you heard some noises and a new crack appeared and that baseboard was pulling away from the wall. that's a big red flag. the first thing i would do is to have a structural engineer come in and do an inspection. the problems could be big and expensive or minor and inexpensive. you might have issues with a high water table, the base under the foundation not being compacted properly, undersized or missing footings and the list goes on and on and on.

have the structural engineer check things out and get back to us. i'm curious as to what it could be.

also, don't have a contractor come in to try to assess what happened until the structural engineer has checked things out. the contractor's job is to follow the engineers plans to rectify the issues. if you have a good contractor that's on top of his game, invite him to the engineer's meeting with you.

Your new house should have a warranty, no?

With that much happening this soon, I'd want out of the deal and out of the house- this seems to be either a very shoddily built house or one with a major foundation issue. You should not be seeing this much happening this soon- no house I've ever been involved with the building of had this much happen in 5 years, much less a few months. Get a certified home inspector over and whatever he recommends is what you tell the seller they are going to do, or your next phone call goes to your lawyer. Betcha they will let you back out of the deal rather than try to repair the problems which will verify that it really was a shoddy builder.

Phil

according to her post, i believe she already owns the house

In my fair state every new home comes with a multi year warranty for structural. Check with your local building authoritah.