+ Reply to Thread

Default Excessive condensation on the exterior of triple pane windows

I bought triple pane, low E, gas filled windows back in April this year from a company. I figured triple pane has to better than double pane for r-value. The problem is, when it gets real humid outside the windows fog up on the outside. So much so, you can't see out them for about 2 - 3 hours. I'm being told this is expected and they (the company) will not do anything about trying to find out why. I have a hard time paying hundreds more for a triple pane window and find out they fog up, but my double pane don't on the same side of the house. Looking for someone to let me know if this is what I can expect. If so, triple pane is basically a rip-off and a waste of money in my opinion. I have other renovations I want to do, but don't want to feel ripped off again. I live in Central Kentucky.

Default Re: Excessive condensation on the exterior of triple pane windows

If the fogging you are talking about is between the panes, then it is not the triple pane that is the issue, it is the quality of the manufacturer. The glass is not sealed around the edges and moisture filled air is getting between the panes. It could also be that the argon gas used to fill the glass was not completely dry when the window was filled.

If the issue is moisture in the inside of the window, that is you can wipe it off with a cloth, then the triple pane glass is doing a better job than the double pane glass, you just have excessive humidity in your house. Your walls would also have moisture on them though as almost any wall, even an uninsulated one still has a higher R-value than the best windows.

If it is on the inside of the glass but not on the walls, that would indicate that the install is faulty and there is significant air leakage around the window itself. This could be due to poor quality window frames or a poor quality installation by the installer.
    Last edited by keith3267; 09-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Keith, jp454 reports that the fog builds up on the outside.

I suspect the triple panes are actually doing their job of keeping the outer surface of the glass cooler (less thermal tranfer). Because they are cool, humid air is condensing on them. The poster says the windows clear up after a couple hours. The outer air is warming up as the day goes on and the relative humidity going down, hence less condensation.

Outside, my bad. That means the triple pane windows are conducting inside cold to the outside. I'm curious then what the temp of the inside pane is. My gut instinct is the triple pane windows aren't as good as they are claimed to be.

The poster does not state where he is located and what time of year it is. He does mention April. April is a hec of a lot dfferent in Anchorage than Savannah. What is the inside and outsiide temperatures and what is the outside relative humidity. If it is warm inside and the tripple panes are keeping the outer panes cool, I can well believe they would fog up until the outside temps increased and the relative humidity goes down.

I think one might well question the payback period of high priced multipane windows in relatively temperate climates, over relatively inexpensive dual pane , low-e windows..

Thumbs up Re: Excessive condensation on the exterior of triple pane windows

These kind of condensation can even cause damage to the places it touches. If the frame is made of wood, it will surely develop mould and wood decay. Even steel frames can start to corrode over time. Your windows aren’t the only things that suffer – your drywall and insulation can become damaged as well.
    Here are some tips to reduce condensation of your new or replacement windows : http://www.clerawindows.com/blog/how...on-on-windows/
    Hope it helps

Question to the poster:

What is the temp and humidity inside when this happens, and what is the temp and humidity outside when this happens?