+ Reply to Thread

Default what to use? - finishing an exterior, stripped and stained victorian door in texas?

exterior victorian door with several layers of paint. plan to strip, sand with 120, then stain with natural. question is, what product can a diyer use to finish and protect that will last beyond a year or so? pros say that polyurethane or spar varnish will give up in a year or so. door is under a 6 or 7 foot overhang, but faces west. and this is texas heat and sun. are there any oil finishes that you can recommend? or, what do you recommend i do?

Default Re: what to use? - finishing an exterior, stripped and stained victorian door in texa

There are two agents which work together to break down an exterior wood finish - sun and rain. With several feet of overhang, I doubt that your door sees much rainwater. That said, i see no reason why a good urethane spar varnish, which contains a UV sun blocker, would not give you good service. Give it at least three coats, including the top and bottom edges.

Urethane spar varnishes have a more fexible film than does a conventional urethane varnish. This is important because the parts of a door are subjected to seasonal movement, especially the panels which are set in the frame. The panels are not glued in place, but must be able to move, least they bindup and crack. Such movement makes the point at which the panel and frame meet, vunerable to breakage of the varnish film and a point for rain moisture to enter. If the door never sees rain, then this point is moot.

Default Re: what to use? - finishing an exterior, stripped and stained victorian door in texa

I usually use an oil finish on exterior natural finish wood it needs recoated every couple of years but doesn't need stripped inbetween just a light scuff with sand paper I usually use sickens it has uv protectors added to protect the wood from sun.