+ Reply to Thread

Default bathroom ventilator

I think my homes` drain-ventilation system should be santized. Is that a difficult thing to do? The basement drain smells bad. My washing machine smells bad. Oders all round. It is pretty sickening.

Thanks

Default Re: bathroom ventilator

if any of the drains are stinking then the thing to do is.....1st, make sure all the traps have water in them. many people forget to run the water in sinks or showers that are rarely used. when a trap dries out, sewer gasses get into the house. 2nd, if the traps all have water in them then it's possible that gunk has accumulated in the traps, especially a heavily used bathroom sink or a kitchen sink. if you stick your nose by the drain you can usually smell something funky. if that's the case you can clean out the traps and sink tail pieces. 3rd, check for rusted pipes in the basement. an old cast iron pipe with a rust hole on the top of it probably wouldn't leak. 4th, the vent system should smell, that's what it's supposed to do but you have something else causing the odor. do some investigating and get back to us.

Many older homes have similar problems with unpleasant odors. Cleaning pipes and traps, replacing old sections might help to some degree. Also make sure your vents are free of leaves and other debris.

Hi there,

I realize now that my vent stack had a break in it. Who could inspect and repair this in the walls? Is this type of smell as hazardous as an exposed drain emitting smells because in my case the break is between the roof and ceiling and unexposed. A roofer came and put a cover on the vent stack to prevent water entering the house. Is this not a good fix?

Thanks for helping

Capping the vent is never good. But what does the roofer care?
    You need to fix the hole. A plumber can do it. He will probably cut some drywall that can be repaired and finished later.

Thanks for your answer. Another question I have is that I will have a stone wall built outside where a drain will be attached to the house French drain. Is an inspection necessary to make sure the drain can receive more water during winter thaw or during a rain storm? |The contractor says the amount of water is little and shouldn't be a problem. Can you help to reassure me?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by l.bro View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Another question I have is that I will have a stone wall built outside where a drain will be attached to the house French drain. Is an inspection necessary to make sure the drain can receive more water during winter thaw or during a rain storm? |The contractor says the amount of water is little and shouldn't be a problem. Can you help to reassure me?
    Thanks
    I've never seen a french drain that was inadequately sized so if the contractor says it's OK to tie into it then it probably is. A 3-4" pipe can handle a lot of water so long as it is sloped properly and not clogged. One concern I have is whether the stone wall is going to create a 'pool' against the house and what is being done to control the water it will receive in a heavy rain. I've seen raised flower beds made of brick cause problems against a house that previously had no water ingression issues because they pooled water. It may pay to have an opening or two in the wall to help with surface water runoff in that case. Most French drains are not intended to handle surface water runoff which should be directed away from the house through grading.

Phil