+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy garage door dent

I accidentally tapped my garage door with my car, I thought it was a pretty light tap, but there's a dent in the metal garage door. After some googling, I see recommendations of using a hairdryer to heat and then compressed air to cool as a way to make the metal pop back out. Any advice? Thank you.

Default Re: garage door dent

you could try bondo and repaint.....don't know if your idea will work or not

Try the heat/cold trick first and see what happens, if that doesn't work, I'd recommend using blocks and gently pounding it out. Have a helper hold a block against the outside while you use another block and a hammer on the inside. You want to place the block over the dent and hit the block with the hammer to spread the force over a larger area and prevent even more damage from happening. The block on the outside is to give you something solid to pound against, which will aid in keeping the door from further damage as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, you treat it like a car fender.

I'm supposed to remove those dents?

There goes another weekend !!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I'm supposed to remove those dents?

There goes another weekend !!

No way! These are just artifacts of the homes history and as such should be left intact and called "Character", not "dents".

A simple change in terminology will give you your weekend back and show everyone your massive knowledge and intellect regarding these old houses!

Phil

Smile Re: garage door dent

Thank you for everyone's input. I haven't tried the heat/cool method yet. The dent is so slight that it might not be amenable to banging from the other side.