+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Granite or not to Granite$$$$

We bought a "fixer upper" every room needs fixing. In the kitchen I think going less expensive on the counter tops and getting high end appliances would be better. The mister wants granite, I think concrete would be much cheaper, and we could do it ourselves, to save money. Any comments to help with our decision? I also heard that granite is not that durable, and concrete can be fixed. Thanks

Default Re: Granite or not to Granite$$$$

I have been debating that question myself and have decided that granite is worth the investment especially for resale value. I initally thought I might go with corian but did research, posted questions and the concenses was granite. Actually the estimates I received for granite were not much higher than corian. Concrete is still not as popular as some of the other choices.

You could consider using granite tiles instead of solid granite. There is a surplus building supply co near me that usually has granite and marble tiles for $3 to $4 a square foot. If you had to go to a tile store or a big box store you could get them fairly reasonable too. Even if you spent $10 a square foot it is still a considerable savings over the price of solid granite. Of course the look is not the same but still would look good. Of course the biggest savings come if you can install the tile yourself. If you are not comfortable with that challenge and hire someone your cost savings would not be that much over solid granite.

If you go the route of concrete or granite be sure that the cabinets are in good shape and are sturdy enough to support the extra weight of a solid material like those.

Mike

I also agree that granite is the way to go. Concrete, well, I love it but not sure it'll be any cheaper. Have to believe the labor is expensive, but then again, never priced it. I did look into how one might do it themselves.

Howdy, draw back to granite & concrete is the having to re seal it as it is porous and a bacteria haven. There are stone counters that are not porous Consider them before making your choice. A husband note, we have a brown and black splattered granite counter tops in our kitchen. The best part is that you can spill coffee and my wife doesn't notice. I usually wipe up the coffee. But if we had small children then i'd be cleaning it often with a moldaside. A a maintenance i wouldn't enjoy
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 02-28-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added word

Go for the granite. In the end, concrete will be just as much. You'll need to have it sealed and maintain it more than granite. Plus, if you want a professional looking countertop, pouring it on your own probably won't do it. Granite is also the best bet for re-sale value.
    ________
    Networx.com

I DIY-ed my own soapstone counters. The material was about $45 per sq ft. Unlike granite, you can use woodworking tools to shape the edges, and the hand-honed finish does not require an expensive set of diamond polishing pads like granite work. It's not fun, but it's an "experience" for sure.

S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

granite is the way to go. Miller made is mistaken on the bacteria issue. this is a common misconseption spread by competitors, mainly the solid surface industry.

here is the truth on the matter

http://www.marble-institute.com/indu...sanitation.cfm

in truth many of the granites are less porous then porcelain. and of course your sink and toilet are probally porcelain and you don't need to seal them do you? most of the lighter granites do need to be sealed but even then not all you have to test them to see. most granite companies don't test they just tell you to seal them and this is to make sure they aren't liable.

We just renovated our kitchen - got Quartz (silestone) - I love it! Looks like granit, feels like granit, basicaly is granit, just made artificially. I am pleased because - no need to go to the factory to chose a slab, no pores or weaker spots as you sometimes see on older granit surfaces.
    Costs little more though - a couple $ more per foot but in my view completely worth it.

A question to all those responding.
    Why not a good quality laminate?
    Sure, you have to be somewhat careful with it, but...
    Laminate counter tops are DIY.
    Laminate counter tops can be ordered with integral backsplash, drip edge and different edging on the front.
    Laminate is a fraction of the cost of any of the natural stones or artificial materials, and thus can be changed if desired based on style trends or personal taste.

I am not against these other good quality materials, I just don't know why we never hear anything positive about laminate counter tops on this board much anymore.

Thanks.