+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Weird shared nuetral w/ double breaker

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Breakers with handle ties are not 2 pole circuit breakers. 2 pole (and 3pole) circuit breakers are manufactured with internal common trip unless otherwise labeled. You are correct that MWBC's can use handle ties or multi-pole breakers.
    Granted a small percentage of double or three pole breakers have only one trip handle.
    But, most have a handle for each "phase" and employ internal trip and the handles handles are always tied together.

The internal trip ensures all the "phases" will open together but the tie handle may allow a "phase" remain closed.

I don't understand what you mean "Breakers with handle ties are not 2 pole circuit breakers".[/QUOTE]

I meant two single pole circuit breakers, adjacent to one another, joined by handle ties may be used for MWBC's.

Quote Originally Posted by brrichter View Post
    Granted a small percentage of double or three pole breakers have only one trip handle.
    But, most have a handle for each "phase" and employ internal trip and the handles handles are always tied together.

The internal trip ensures all the "phases" will open together but the tie handle may allow a "phase" remain closed.

I don't understand what you mean "Breakers with handle ties are not 2 pole circuit breakers".
    I meant two single pole circuit breakers, adjacent to one another, joined by handle ties may be used for MWBC's.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like we were both saying the same thing

Also, it appears the OP solved his problem..life is good.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post

Also, it appears the OP solved his problem..life is good.
    Indeed, indeed.