+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing spray foam

Hi,

I need to expose the ends of some carriage bolts that some time ago were buried under spray foam insulation. I was surprised to find it difficult to "pick" it away, so I'm wondering if there is a solvent of some kind that might be used to dissolve the insulation or make it easier to remove in a case like this?

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Removing spray foam

aside from the spray foam insulation gun cleaner which dissolves it prior to it becoming rigid, i believe you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way.

This is just from memory, which isn't all that reliable lately, but I recall something about PB Blaster dissolving a styrofoam cup in seconds. This is a spray penetrating oil and solvent available at most auto parts stores. Your foam may not respond to this as it is unlikely to be styrofoam.

None of the common solvents found at the hardware or homeowner stores will touch cured urethane foam. NMP will cut it, but i don't know where to get it commonly.

Keith, we used to send the new guys down to the truck with a styrofoam cup to get some lacqer thinner. The lacquer thinner comes through the bottom of a styrofoam cup as if it weren't even there!

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going old fashioned. It actually wasn't too bad, I used a pair of needlenose pliers to pull out clumps. A little tedious, but it worked.

Dave