+ Reply to Thread

Smile Fine spray leak from copper pipes that connect to my water heater

Noticing that water is surrounding my gas tank, I checked for leaks and found out that it is above the unit. No drips, just a fine spray.

It is a replacement Westinghouse that was installed two years ago. There is like a green paste on what I think is the affected area and looks as tho' something was taped (?) around it at one time, but, I can't be sure and can't find any tape-like materials around the tank.

The leak is spraying in the area of the little hood at the top.

Should I call a plumber now? On Monday? Or, is this something I can fix myself ~

Thoughts? lol

Default Re: Fine spray leak from copper pipes that connect to my water heater

It's always a good idea to fix a leak when you first notice it, because leaks cause damages, and they never get better with time.

You might have a leak around the cold water in or the hot water out - both lines are under pressure. Since I don't know how much you know about plumbing, I can't tell you to go ahead and fix it yourself. A plumber will probably charge you for an hour or a visit plus parts.

Thanks ~

I know enough about plumbing to be vigilant, recognize potential problems and then ask. But, I can thread a gas line for a stove. And, do it right! lol

The water spray is cold. I don't see a shut-off valve any where.

Should I shut off the main water or will it last til Monday. Unless it's a super-emergency, I honestly don't think I can get any one here now or tomorrow.

The code around here says you have to have a shut off valve on the "cold water in" pipe.

If you can't get a plumber tonight (and I don't know why), at least shut the water supply. No shut off valve on the cold side? shut off the main when you go to sleep.

Thumbs up Re: Fine spray leak from copper pipes that connect to my water heater

I found it - It was quite a distance from the tank and obscured.

Thank you so much!