+ Reply to Thread

Default Free standing tub or undermount tub with surround?

So, as I plan our master bath remodel, I'm keeping an eye on the future and considering how my choices may affect our eventual re-sale.

Specifically, I'm wondering if those of you in the trenches of the home remodeling industry are seeing homeowners prefer one over the other: a free-standing tub or an undermount tub with decking/surround (tile, granite, etc.)?

Either way, I'll have a separate, walk-in shower (if that bit of info would make a difference in how you respond).

Default Re: Free standing tub or undermount tub with surround?

I personally have never liked the look of inset tubs or free standing (claw foot) tubs. I prefer the more traditional style tub with the face skirt and a surround that comes down the wall and meets the top edge on three sides. As for surrounds, I prefer cultured granite/stone the most because it has the fewest joints to fail and IMHO looks the best, however tile comes in at a very close second and is a bit more affordable. Even with just a soaking tub (no shower ) you're going to want some type of surround to protect the walls.

As for resale value, sticking with classic, traditional styles, designs, and colors will always be better sellers than whatever the latest fad is.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What Spruce said plus;

Stay with beige (it hides the dirt) or white fixtures.

If you want to get a tub you like, then go with what you like the best. But if you are thinking resale, then you need to choose a tub that most people like, a tub which won't scare a potential buyer. I think that means: a conventional tub with a nice finish.

Another issue: tubs and their surrounds deteriorate pretty fast (depending on use). So if you are planning on selling the house in 10 years - this new tub will be old by then.

Thanks for the input!