+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pipe materials

Hybrid View

Question pipe materials

in constructing a new small house in central florida, what would be the best plumbing material to use: copper, pvc/cpvc, or pex?...from a health perspective too... thanks

Default Re: pipe materials

Go with PEX, if it is approved in your town.

I know that copper is not good in FL.

Every area has its favorites. Pex is an umbrella term covering a wide range of specific products. Talk to some of the middle aged plumbers in your area - the ones who hold the actual licenses, visit building sites, and ask what's predominant in your area.

If building inspectors aren't too deeply into their ruts, they can give guidance as well.

Cool Re: pipe materials

thanks very much dj1 & houston remodeler for your guidance/tips...i'll do further research on pex and why copper is not a good idea in fl...will ask bldng inspectors for opinions...visit bldng sites & ask some middle-aged plumbers with actual licenses for recommendations in my area---thanks

Years ago I visited a track home building site in Jacksonville. When I asked the GC why they weren't using copper pipes, he said: we have copper eating insects in this part of the country. No joke.

Perhaps he was referring to theft ?