+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default a safe Medic Alert bracelet

I've recently decided that I need to start wearing a Medic Alert bracelet or it's equivalent again. However, I stopped wearing the bracelet I once had when I started to get into woodworking and using a table saw. We all know it's a bad idea to have dangling jewelry or anything around power tools. However I can't seem to find anything that would fit on my wrist that is tight fitting and low profile. The closest I can find is a silicone bracelet with a small stainless steel tab that you can engrave designed for bicyclists (like this: http://www.roadid.com/p/the-Wrist-ID-Slim). Has anyone else needed to wear a medicAlert ID that works with tools a lot? What did you do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Default Re: a safe Medic Alert bracelet

As long as the bracelet is relatively tight to your wrist, it should be fine, similar to wearing a watch.

When working in the shop, you could wear it on a necklace tucked into your shirt or slip the ID badge into your pocket, then put it back on when you leave the shop.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Would you be able to put it round your ankle? Or could you attach to a belt loop around the back so it's out of the way?

Why not wear the alert warnings on a necklace
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

While they are commonly sold, it seems like anything dangling would be a bad idea and I don't like wearing any jewelry so a necklace seems out to me. Ankle is an interesting idea, but I was reading on an EMT forum that they are trained to look at the wrist first if someone is unconscious. Maybe I could get my watch band engraved?

Have you considered a tattoo?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I thought about it briefly, even though I hate tattoos. The same EMT guys said they've seen a bunch on people but they usually ignore them now because tattoos are so prevalent these days. I know a tattoo artist though so I'll see how small he think he can make the type.

What about getting the wrist bracelet fitted to your wrist so that it's a little more snug?

While jewelry in general is a bad idea in a shop, with common sense and self awareness, you can work safely. Just as you don't want any loose, dangling clothing, the same goes for jewelry, so a necklace is fine as long as it is tucked into a shirt. I had a friend in high school who was wearing a necklace that dangled into the top of the router he was using, which proceeded to give him an electrical burn where the chain touched his skin. Had the necklace been tucked into his shirt he'd have been fine.

As for the bracelet, just be aware of what you are doing and the likelihood of being caught up in the work. I would be most concerned with a lathe and maybe a drill press than I would with hand power tools or a table saw. Be aware of yourself and your surroundings and you'll have nothing to worry about.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yeah. I'm thinking of a tight fitting bracelet as my best bet right now. I think I'll try one of those neoprene ones first since they are cheap just to see how it works.

I would say try the one in the link that you had posted I know a couple of my friends have them and they love them and say they are very comfortable. I would stray away from ankle and necklace because in an emergency situation it is very possible they will be ignored. Also it is a good idea to keep a health information card in the front of your wallet as backup and possibly additional information that may be needed.

Doug