WE have a set of HUGE doors in the vestibule of our church. The church is over 125 years old, so the doors are probably that old as well. They are interior doors (between the vestibule and the church sanctuary). Each is about 36 inches wide, but about 9 or 10 feet tall. They are not rectangular (arched) but I don't think that's part of the problem. During both air conditioning and heating seasons, we naturally try to keep the doors closed to keep in the heat or cool air. The doors, however, swing open a foot or so (they do not latch in the middle where they meet . . . not sure they ever did) and someone has to stand there and keep a hand on the door to keep them closed.

I figure the jamb has gotten out of plumb, but I don't know how to adjust the hinges (ie., which hinge to adjust). There are 3 hinges on each door. Should I shim the top hinge to get the door to swing closed and stay closed on its own? Or the bottom hinge?

The doors weigh a ton, so I can't really take them down, try something and put them back up easily. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice so we only have to do it once.

Thank you