+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kill all vegetation in backyard

I'm new to North NJ and one thing I am not enjoying is the jungle that is my backyard. Likely due to the abundance of rain, grass, ivy, and saplings grow very quickly here. Also, I have a groundhog living in my backyard perhaps due to all the vegetation.

So, I'd like to kill just about everything back there. What is the best way to do this? Road salt? 50-50 bleach and water?

Thanks

Default Re: Kill all vegetation in backyard

Try one of the general vegetation killers such as Round Up. It will zap just about everything. There are new versions which will also then prevent any latent seeds from germinating for up to a year. Of course, if you plant anything from seed, it will also not germinate, but if you are laying soor planting established plants, it would not affect them.

I had a disaster of a rear lawn when I moved into my new house. I zapped it with Round Up, waited a couple weeks for the "lawn" to die, then rototilled it under and laid new sod on top. Worked great!

What do you plan to do after everything is killed? Even a small yard requires constant maintenence during the growing season

Rent a goat. Or two.

Vinegar or salt may do the trick
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Salt can pollute the soil for a very long time.

Roundup is the way to go. Once it binds to a soil particle it becomes inert. There are no long term ill effects from roundup. If there were the US wouldn't be able to grow crops for the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Salt can pollute the soil for a very long time.
    He didn't say he wanted to grow anything again
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

An herbicide containing Glyphosate (the active ingredient in RoundUp) will certainly kill most of the vegetation, but I'm afraid it won't do much for your groundhog. For that, you'll either need to get a trap or a Ruger 10/22 .22 caliber rifle.

If you live within city limits, you may not be permitted to fire a Ruger 10/22, and your neighborhood layout may not allow you a safe direction to shoot, but it sure would be fun for perforating cans out in the woods.

If you're not familiar with firearms, I highly recommend participating in a firearms safety course before using one. Like any tool, they can be dangerous when used improperly.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Groundhogs and woodchucks are not the quickest and strongest animals - you can wait for them with a shovel in you hand, hit them when they show up, and most likely kill them with a direct hit.

But nothing beats a 22, if you can use it.

A Jack Russell Terrier or two will make short work of the rodents too.

Quite legal and no background check needed.