First off, let me say this is my first old house and first time ever with a home that had natural gas. Gas powers the oven, furnace and dryer. Oh, and I'm pretty neurotic. (I'm finding this is not a good combo and maybe I should have sprung for one of those brand new, mini-McMansions in the 'burbs.) Anyway...
When i had the home inspection done, he checked all of the visible gas connections and pipe fittings in the basement and behind appliances and found one tiny leak at a fitting. I was told that, for a 100 year old home, this was pretty good that there was only one leak at a sale inspection. (not sure if this is true???) The leak has since been repaired.
Here's where my neurotic side kicks in. No one that was in that basement smelled the gas leak, so how will I know if another one pops up? Should I have a regular check of all the gas lines? Is there someone I can that does this sort of thing? Who would that be? The plumber that came to fix the gas leak brought a bottle of soapy water instead of an electronic detection device...not impressed.
I tried the soapy water thing myself and just had foam everywhere....I overshot some pipes, hit some wood and even the wood was foaming. Obviously I did something wrong but, frankly, with this type of safety issue, I'd rather not be a DIYer.
What's the safety protocol for maintenance of gas pipes and appliances?
thanks in advance.