+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior french doors

I would like to install a pair of french doors in between our foyer and our living room. The entrance is already nicely framed but we would like french doors to keep the dog and cat out of the living room. As you can see, we currently have a child gate and box blocking the area.

I was told this could not be done without ripping out the current framing and molding which as you can see is really nice. The cost of two slabs is 411.00 dollars. Is it true that the whole area has to be torn out?

Tried to take photo on iPad but it was not accepted, frustrating!

Default Re: Interior french doors

it is true. there really is no other way. you might be able to use the old trim, depending on the the rough size of the opening and how the new door fits. if not you'll have to buy some new trim, hopefully a local molding store or lumber yard has the same stuff that you already have. if not, you might have to have some new molding custom made which can add about $300-$500 to the price of the new trim.

You could reuse the existing frame, however the difficulty factor jumps by a power of 10.

You can't just slap hinges on a slab and screw it to the jamb, the hinges have to be mortised into both the door and the frame, this is difficult enough for a pro, let alone a DIY'r. Then you have to run door stop molding through the center of the jamb, this is what the doors will close against.

While you may not want to disassemble your existing jamb and molding, installing a set of prehung doors will be the way to go for a precision fit and finish. You can custom order your prehung doors to be exactly the same size as the existing opening, increasing the chances of reusing your molding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Consider INTERIOR CAFE DOORS as a substitute. They come in some very attractive designs.

With this, I'd first get an accurate measurement between the inside- this is your standard size. Next I'd get one of the width on the outside of the molding, then go to a lumberyard and see if they have a prehung unit with the same molding that width. If so, the job of swapping them out is easy and you'll have little or no work to do on the walls. If nothing is close then I'd just go with custom doors and hang them to the existing casing. You may still have to remove trim to adjust the opening for plumb and to be sure it's shimmed properly for doors. What seems easy sometimes gets complicated quickly!

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 09-08-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Do you have room for a 'barn' type door? They make some fancy hardware now, and you could hang a divided light door from it.