+ Reply to Thread

Question Is it feasible to install granite tile over laminate countertops?

Hi,
    I have an old house in bad shape that I am trying to update in order to sell. In my kitchen I have PINK laminate counter-tops that are in OK condition, a few dings and stains, and I was thinking if I paint the cabinets and can put tile (granite if I can afford it,) or porcelain tiles over the existing laminate counter-tops it would improve the look of the kitchen immensely. I did a search for this discussion and only found one from 2008 which had a broken link. https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/show...te+countertops

Has anyone actually tried this or is this a really bad idea? Any suggestions for options that would be cost effective and can be done by one relatively strong but older woman alone would be great!

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Is it feasible to install granite tile over laminate countertops?

The right way of doing it is to remove the existing counter top.
    Tile, granite slab and granite square need a beefy, flat base (5/8" to 3/4" plywood) to be successful.

Your idea to invest in the kitchen is very good and will help in the sale of the house. just pick easy, pleasant colors that most folks like.

Its a really bad idea. A sharp home inspector or home buyer will pick up on it and you will have spent the money for nothing.

Generally its my humble opinion to sell the house as is if you can't make the repairs correctly as the new owner will make the repairs to their taste anyway.

paint is a really bad idea. you might get away with tile, but the edging will be pretty ropey to do. Why not just buy a cheap replacement laminate worksurface?

To me granite tiles scream I couldn't afford solid surface granite. Could you use butcher block as an option? Better than pink and if you're going to sell it would look richer than Formica.

Quote Originally Posted by Unique Design Resource View Post
    To me granite tiles scream I couldn't afford solid surface granite. Could you use butcher block as an option? Better than pink and if you're going to sell it would look richer than Formica.
    Not everyone likes or can afford granite slabs. Granite squares done right are very attractive.

Also, squares are easier to replace if there's a crack - consider this.

Depending on the age of the house, porcelin tiles were done, not granite.

If you can't afford granite, do butcher block, another time-period material.

The laminate may peel, possible right away from the moisture in the thinset. So even if they do stick I doubt it will be for long.

Personally I hate tile on counter tops, I hate the look and imagine cleaning and sanitizing must be a nightmare. I would guess it won't help sell the home and I would go for another laminate or preferably butcher block, but don't ask me ask a Realtor. They know what sells and what is a waste. After my house flooded and ruined my new floors the Realtor suggested some wood I never would have thought of and I think it helped my house sell quickly.