+ Reply to Thread

Default Low water pressure in entire house, both hot and cold

I bought my house last summer, and immediately replaced all steel pipes with new copper. The buffalo box was inaccessible at the time, so the pipefitters used (and thus left) the old shutoff gate valve at the end of the lead service. Water pressure was improved, but still not ideal. Then about two weeks ago, the pressure dropped even more, and has not improved since. All fixtures in house are affected, both hot and cold water. I bought a pressure gauge at lowes, put it on an outside spigot, and it registered about 5 psi. I have removed the aerators in the kitchen and bath to improve flow, but the toilet usually cannot fill.

I called the city to have them check it out, and they do not think the problem is on their end (of course). So my question is could the culprit be the old valve and/or what appears to be a short section of steel leading into it from the lead union? Or is it more likely that there is an obstruction in the water main (under basement floor)? I'm lining up plumbers to consult, but I'm trying to rule things out or identify other possible culprits. (I tried to upload a photo, but was unable to.)

Default Re: Low water pressure in entire house, both hot and cold

if you can rule out everything that you replaced, i believe that leaves the main shutoff to the street. is the main line coming into the house from the street galvanized steel or is it copper? i can only see three possibilities.

1. main coming into the house being galvanized steel

2. the shut off valve you spoke about being broken or something clogging it at that point.

3. some other main valve somewhere being partially closed

a 3/4 galvanized pipe coming into the house that was installed back in the early 60's or earlier can very easily have an inside diameter smaller than a drinking straw. if that's the case it doesn't take much to clog it up even more.

I agree with MLB's analysis, and I just want to add this: I know that homes in Northern NJ have pressure reducer valves. If you have one, replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I agree with MLB's analysis, and I just want to add this: I know that homes in Northern NJ have pressure reducer valves. If you have one, replace it.
    It has to be a pressure reducing valve that has failed. If you're getting a reading of only 5 PSI. No matter how small of an opening in the line or valve the pressure would be higher. The volume would be low but the pressure wouldn't.
    John