+ Reply to Thread

Default Timer switch has red wire but romex only has black and white

I bought a timer switch for my bathroom fan and it has a red wire in addition to the "normal" black, white, and ground wires. My romex in the wall does not have a red wire. What should I do? Match all colors except red and cap it?

Default Re: Timer switch has red wire but romex only has black and white

The switch should have come with instructions, if not, look it up on the net and get the installation instructions.

Odds are, the hook-up will be color to color on the input side of the switch. The red wire will be the load side, which connects to whatever you're trying to power up.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Odds are, the hook-up will be color to color on the input side of the switch. The red wire will be the load side, which connects to whatever you're trying to power up.
    Ditto, it sounds like you are trying to install it on a switch loop which will not work.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you want a timer in a switch loop, look for an old-fashioned mechanical one with a rotary knob. The one you need will have 2 wires or terminals and possibly a ground. Go to an electrical supply house and they should be able to get what you need.

Phil

If its like the Leviton timer I recently installed, I believe the red wire goes to the load and the black and white just match black and white in your Romex. However, my switch had fairly clear wiring instructions, so I did not have to figure it out on my own.

Bruce