+ Reply to Thread

Default Hanging light fixture above a tub?

We're preparing to remodel our master bath. The tub is centered under a window in an alcove. Currently, there is a pot light centered in the ceiling above the tub. I got a strange look from one contractor when mentioning I'd like to replace the pot light with a hanging fixture (chandelier). Another contractor told me it would be against code to have a chandelier hanging above a tub. However, I've seen tons of home remodeling shows on TV where the contractor installs such a hanging fixture above a tub. So, what gives?

Default Re: Hanging light fixture above a tub?

we installed one once two years ago, same situation, on a large bathroom remodel done on a permit. electrical inspector saw it during final inspection, signed off on it and never mentioned it other than saying "w-o-w, that looks nice". i would call the electrical inspector in your town and ask. it might be different in each state or town.

The location makes dusting the light fixture a tad tricky.

Do check with the inspector first.

As long as the bottom of the chandelier is 8 feet above the rim of the tub, you're OK. Otherwise, you must use a fixed-in-place (not a pendant) fixture that is listed as suitable for damp locations.

I found a reference to the 2005 National Electrical Code:

Article 410

Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures), Lampholders, and Lamps

410.4 Luminaires in Specific Locations

Part II. Luminaire Locations

The text was modified in the 2005 Code to clarify the types of luminaires not permitted within 3 ft horizontally and 8 ft vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall. And new rule requires luminaires in bathtub or shower zone to be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

(D) Above Bathtubs. No part of chain-, cable-, or cord luminaires, track lighting, or ceiling paddle fans is permitted to be located within 3 ft horizontally and 8 ft vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold (bathtub/shower luminaire zone).

Luminaires located in bathtub and shower zone must be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for your replies and (Fencepost) for the additional info. Very helpful.