+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint sprayers

Question paint sprayers

Hi,
    Does anyone know what is the best commercial quality paint sprayer for interior paint applications? I know the pros recommend rollers and brushes but I have several rooms to do and they will be empty of all furniture and fixtures so it seems like the best option for me.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: paint sprayers

I own a Titan 640 with the digital control and use it in situations such as yours. One factor to consider - you'll be adding many many gallons of water to the interior of the home. Proper venting may take overnight.

Normally we primer with the sprayer, paint the ceilings and the wood trim. The walls are rollered in each room's color.

Buying a quality sprayer when you don't use it on a regular basis, may be a waste of money (for most folks).

Look into renting a sprayer. Or buy a less expensive Wagner.

Personally, I will never use a sprayer indoor, only roller and brush. I don't trust the masks.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Personally, I will never use a sprayer indoor, only roller and brush. I don't trust the masks.
    That's what power roller attachments are for! <wink>

Agreed on the use vs. value statement though.

Rental equipment can be a little iffy, you could probably pick up a decent sprayer at a pawn shop or of Craig's List for fairly cheap, then sell it when you're done.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    That's what power roller attachments are for! <wink>

Agreed on the use vs. value statement though.

Rental equipment can be a little iffy, you could probably pick up a decent sprayer at a pawn shop or of Craig's List for fairly cheap, then sell it when you're done.
    Spruce, you're right.

Go to a paint shop or paint department and check out those power rollers. Some of them can do an amazing, clean job, without the need to use a mask.

I still like to use a roller. Now you can get a wider roller (12" wide as opposed to 9"), and finish rolling in less time.

Agreed, The stench from spraying primer can be harsh on the eyes and the lungs.

Lots of air movement needed.

Awe come on guys, I used to spray BIN all the time. It was better than Happy Hour at the local bar! Love that denatured, grain alcohol!

Seriously though, you should be using a carbon filter mask if spraying things such a BIN or Cover Stain. Head sock and tyvek jump suit is a good idea too.

Red face Re: paint sprayers

Alright, I am convinced. A paint sprayer is a bad idea. I do have a paint stick that worked pretty well a few years ago so I guess I will stick to that. I really like the idea of a paint sprayer though... Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflyspirit View Post
    Alright, I am convinced. A paint sprayer is a bad idea. I do have a paint stick that worked pretty well a few years ago so I guess I will stick to that. I really like the idea of a paint sprayer though... Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.
    It really depends on what you're painting and whether the house is occupied or not. If the house is occupied, then don't even attempt to spray anything!

When it comes to acoustic ceilings (aka popcorn ), then the best way to paint them is with a sprayer. You spray from multiple angles to coat all surfaces of the texture. Yes, you can roll acoustic ceilings, but IMHO, rolling acoustic texture results in an unattractive "glopped on" appearance.

When it comes to walls, spraying actually tends to leave blotchiness or stripes where the tips of the paint fan end, hence why it's better to roll. Now, you can use a power roller attachment on an airless sprayer to great benefit, it is a huge time savings not to have to be dipping into a paint pan all the time. With a power roller, you just tap the trigger as you need more paint, you never stop to refill the roller.

If you have doors to paint, then spraying is a good idea, though you will want to remove the hinges and hardware and set up a paint booth to contain the overspray. For the time and effort to set it up and reinstall the doors and hardware, hand painting on the hinge is actually easier and faster. Use a small roller to get the paint onto the door, then lay it off with a brush.

Only you can determine if you've got enough paint work, often enough, to warrant buying professional quality airless rig and/or power roller. I've had a number of clients who have purchased the Wagner power roller system and loved it. While it won't produce pro quality work, it will certainly suffice for most homeowners needs and it's a much more affordable alternative.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The head sock, tyvek moon suit, shoe booties and visor are a must. Along with bottled water from all the sweating that goes on under the moon suit.

Now I'm starting to talk myself out of doing this ever again.

But seriously, sprayers do work very well for doors and trim. WHen painting doors we either paint them installed, or make a paint booth with the doors held in a Z pattern using 2x4's along the tops and bottoms so we can paint all 4 sides at once.