So, my dad has quite a bit of old reclaimed lumber that he's collected over the years and I want to make a big, rustic looking shelf from one of the large pieces to display some of my antique tools but, I'm having a hard time deciding how to support it without using some kind of modern metal shelf brackets which, would ruin the look in my opinion. So, the piece that I chose is a beautiful piece of old rough cut oak that is approximately 2.5" X 14" X 5'. Also complicating the matter is that I need to hang it on the brick wall in my basement. I've got plenty of old wood in all shapes and sizes that I can use to build the supports but I'm just struggling to decide on the best way to do it. Ideally, I'd like to use two large boards, about 3" thick, and hang them perpendicular on the wall, kind of like you might see on an old fireplace where the supports for the mantle are built right into the fireplace. Problem is, obviously I can't build the whole piece into the wall. I could, fairly easily build triangular 45 degree supports out of reclaimed wood and use heavy duty masonry anchors to secure them. I'm just not sure that would be a good look for a rustic looking shelf. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks