+ Reply to Thread

Default Range Hood Help!

Hello, I'm interested in installing a range hood in my 1924 house. The range is currently in infront of the chimney, and so I'm not sure about whether installing a range hood vent there would be good. I have a soffit above the cabinets, and it looks like you might be able to vent it into the soffit, then outside from there. The kitchen is on the corner of the house, and it's brick, so it'll be a pretty big job I think. Are there range vents where you don't have to cut any huge holes in your walls?

Default Re: Range Hood Help!

They are called "unvented" hoods and typically have two large filters to help control odors.

he's right, they have recirculating vents but they're horrible, you're just as well off using nothing. they're only good for the small light to light up the cooktop.

venting it to the outside in any house, that has a finished kitchen, is a minor pain in the butt but it's not the end of the world. if it were my house, i'd vent it to the outside, brick exterior or not.

Punching a hole through the brick won't be too big a deal.

you'll have to open up the soffit to see if there is enough space to run a duct ( 6-8" diameter ).

Here's the thing, you want to run a smooth, rigid duct, no flexible stuff. You'll have to be sure that the soffit can handle that and give you room to make your transitions from hood to horizontal run to wall penetration.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with the above answers: if you have a vent the doesn't go to the outside, why have it?

My wife has been complaining for years about the hood that just blows the toxic air back in our faces: Who do I contact to intall/punch a hole in the roof and run a duct to a good hood??

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
    My wife has been complaining for years about the hood that just blows the toxic air back in our faces: Who do I contact to intall/punch a hole in the roof and run a duct to a good hood??
    Depends on what you have, a good General contractor will be able to do the install of everything, with possible exception to the roof, depending on what type of roof it is, in which case the contractor would bring in a roofer to do the penetration.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!