+ Reply to Thread

Default Too much Landlord paid heat

I live in a 17 unit 3 story apartment building on the ground floor. 1/2 below street level, other half above. My windows open directly onto parking lot level. On warm(er) Fall, Winter & Spring days, the hot water baseboard heat controlled by a central boiler with no thermostat for me to control heat, gets to over 90 degrees in my apartment. My landlord pays for the heat and cooking gas. I cannot just open my windows for fear of break-ins. Yet, I want to be able to increase heat on cold days. I have to use my air conditioner to make the temperature comfortable. This adds $20 to $50 per month to my electric bill! Any suggestions on how to reduce heat, IE install a valve in the system, get some decent insulated covers that are easy to remove and replace? My landlord is useless and the Super is an idiot who is not woth whjat he gets paid. Thanks, Peter

Default Re: Too much Landlord paid heat

If the landlord won't respond to your problem call the housing authority.

John
    John

You have a case.

The law says that a landlord has to provide the tenant with an "habitable" dwelling. If your apt temp is 90+, that's too much, and if you serve the landlord, you'll win.

Also, refrain from calling the landlord/manager "useless" and "idiot", if you want results.

Covering the baseboard heaters to restrict air flow will greatly reduce the heat output. Baseboard heaters rely on the "chimney effect" to operate, heating the nearby air which rises, then is replaced by cool air which gets heated, rises and the cycle continues. If you block the heaters with a radiant barrier such as celotex, you'l get maximum results. Of course a old blanket thrown over the heating tubes will work too.

Wouldn't a purpose-built 3-story 17 unit apartment building have individual flow-valves for each radiating unit ?

My previous 551-unit 20 story Manhattan, NYC building hand-turning valves.

I've seen thermostat controlled retro-fit devices in commercial buildings & old city hotels, although I don't know whether heating was steam or hot water -- the point is that there should be a controlled access point.