+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Conecting to old celing wiring of 2 black, 2 beige, 1 green & 1 ground/bare

I'm trying to replace an older fan/light with a new fan/light but having problems with the old ceiling wiring. I usually write down how the wires are connected form ceiling to wires in old fan/light. But the ball of the fan hadn't been installed in the right mounting bracket so when I removed base the entire fixture came down. Here is the situation: there are 2 beige wires (I read where these might be called grayish-brown OR light yellowish gray), 2 black wires, 1 green wire (coming from the new mounting bracket) and 1 ground/bare wire coming from the ceiling. There are 1 black, 1 blue, 1 white (instruction book says common for fan and light kit), and 1 green (ground) coming from fan/light. Manual says to connect black & blue wire from fan/light to black wire from ceiling. When getting down old fan I did get to briefly see one of the specific black wires from ceiling was privously connected to black wire in old fan/light. However, this still leaves a 2nd black wire from ceiling that I did not get to see how it had been connected. Manual then says to connect white wire from fan/light to white wire from ceiling. But the closest to white are the 2 beige (grayish/brown or light yellowish gray) wires coming from the ceiling. So I connected the white wire from fan/light to the 2 beige wires from ceiling (wrong or right??). Next manual says connect green wire from fan, green wire from mounting bracket and bare wire from ceiling together, so I did that. This left me an unused black wire from ceiling. The previous fan/light had switch on wall to operate light & another switch on wall to operate fan. Obviously we want the new fan/light to function the same way. When I turned on switch on wall for fan, it started rotating, YEAH! When I turned on switch on wall for light they came on but were flickering, so I feel something is not right. I turned both switches off, taped over and told my daughter she'd have to use a lamp tonight until I could find out what I had wrong. I have put up ceiling fans before but was always able to right down all the connections prior to the fan/light coming down. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Conecting to old celing wiring of 2 black, 2 beige, 1 green & 1 ground/bare

The beige wires are most likely just aged dirty white wires.
    The black wire for the fan is power to the fan motor the blue is for the light. You should have one of the black wires from switch one connected to the fan black and one from switch two connected to fan blue.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb