+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default hardie backer board

i would like to know how to do the seams were the hardie board for the tile meets dry wall that will be painted

Default Re: hardie backer board

depending on your set up (pictures would help alot) in some situations i will over lap the tile about an inch onto the drywall.

Yep, we like to overlap the last inch or so with the tile from the backerboard to the drywall, outside the wet area.

By the way, Backerboard is NOT waterproof. You'll still need some sort of waterproofing if this is a shower or tub surround.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Yep, we like to overlap the last inch or so with the tile from the backerboard to the drywall, outside the wet area.

By the way, Backerboard is NOT waterproof. You'll still need some sort of waterproofing if this is a shower or tub surround.
    I am going to use mortor and mesh tape for the seams of the backer board and then use redgard. then use thin set for the tiling this bathtube suround. I am not shure what to use for the seams were the exsisting dry wall meets the new backer board mesh and motor will be messey and i want to paint this dry wall. Can i use durobond and tile 2inches over this seam

If in a dry area, use regular drywall compound and tape. If in the wet area, its getting tiled....

Quote Originally Posted by danhabs View Post
    I am not sure what to use for the seams were the exsisting dry wall meets the new backer board mesh and motor will be messey and i want to paint this dry wall. Can i use durobond and tile 2inches over this seam
    As long as the tile is well-supported just continue the mortar and thinset as needed onto the drywall. Use mesh tape (overlapped if it's not wide enough) in the mortar bed to create a continuous base to within 1/2" of the tile edge. To keep the mud off the drywall use painter's tape at the exact edge or just under it. Once the grout is sealed a tiny bead of caulk will take care of any spots where the tape was under the mud.

You mention a 2" overlap on the DW, I would want at least a 4" tile there for best support. Were it me I'd really prefer to use a bullnose edge tile and have the hardibacker go to within 1/2" of the edge but this will work.

Phil