+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door locks

Default Re: Door locks

Don't forget about the strike plate. Most crooks are crude in their methods and simply kick in the door. Almost all door systems fail at the strike plate. Most strike plates that come with locks are small and the screws are short. You need a heavy duty strike plate with four screw holes. These are the longer strike plates with offset screw holes. You also need four inch screws to penetrate the actual house framing. This does not guarantee success but most burglars will find an easier target if the first two or three kicks don't get them in.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    Don't forget about the strike plate. Most crooks are crude in their methods and simply kick in the door. Almost all door systems fail at the strike plate. Most strike plates that come with locks are small and the screws are short. You need a heavy duty strike plate with four screw holes. These are the longer strike plates with offset screw holes. You also need four inch screws to penetrate the actual house framing. This does not guarantee success but most burglars will find an easier target if the first two or three kicks don't get them in.
    And always with rentals. I learned that lesson when I got tired of repairing door jambs from evictions and fools who lose keys. It's no more expensive and a heck of a lot easier to simply slide a new door in the hole than it is to fix a busted jamb, so when I do any work on a rental I replace the exterior door strike screws gratis- the landlords don't seem to mind and I sure don't! If you're doing a new install be sure to shim the strike solidly, and the door will fail before the jamb.

Phil

I do more than just use a reinforced door strike. I think the only way someone will ever kick in one of my doors is by driving a truck through it.