+ Reply to Thread

Question What to do about ugly "tower" on house

We just bought a house. We love the neighborhood and the size of the house, but the house itself needs a lot of help. Poor decisions were made on some of the renovations. Case in point: this tower-like addition was added to accommodate a staircase to the attic with no consideration given to design integrity. Now we're not quite sure how to fix it (without spending a lot of money on a completely new remodel). Any ideas?

Default Re: What to do about ugly "tower" on house

"This house doesn't have a floor plan. It just sort of happened."

I'd suggest talking to an architect or home designer. Without knowing the floor plan, or seeing other angles of the house, we can't give much advice. Plus, it looks like the house may have had multiple additions over the years. Resurrecting the original charm may be difficult and expensive.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Don't be offended by my comments,I'm not knocking your house, but yes,that is quite an ugly "tower". It looks like a "mish mosh".It reminds me of one of those cars you see where the guy puts different junk yard parts on,all different colors. White body,red door,blue hood,ect.LOL
    If you're not going to remove the tower I'll give you a few pointers just from my point of view.
    Paint the siding all 1 color,in other words-lose the green and yellow pieces.
    Change,fix,or replace the corrugated porch roof so it is all the same color. Maybe ,if you can afford it,to match the houses roof color.
    Ditch the corrugated awning over the "towers" window. It clashes with the visual lines of that siding IMO.
    Maybe paint the window trim an accent color.
    Buy a lawn mower,sprinkler,and fertilizer.
    Throw a few steaks on that grill and admire your new house!
    Last edited by 67drake; 08-19-2013 at 05:09 AM.

67drake, thanks for your comments. Not offended at all. It really is a mess right now (which is why we were able to afford it). I forgot to mention that the addition of green/yellow paint swatches were done by us... planning on painting the house and testing out different colors. But yeah, doesn't really add to the "charm" of the house. LOL. Also, the white corrugated awning pieces were added by us as a temporary measure to provide some desperately needed shade (the original is actually tinted clear and seems to only make it hotter under there!). We plan on redoing that whole back porch area... after tackling some other more important issues at hand (like a sunken kitchen corner addition!) Also, the awning you see is the last of many awnings we removed from the house. We just haven't been able to figure out how to access it! So, yes agreed, it's gotta go!

I will post some more photos soon (side view and inside view).

The only thing I can see doing with it, besides tearing it off is to put a regular roof on top with the ridge 90 degrees from the ridge of the house. If it ends up being taller than the house ridge, then the front side of the roof will need to be hip shaped to blend into the pitch of the main roof.

If I knew how to draw in one of these posts as I've seen others do, I would make you a drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    The only thing I can see doing with it, besides tearing it off is to put a regular roof on top with the ridge 90 degrees from the ridge of the house. If it ends up being taller than the house ridge, then the front side of the roof will need to be hip shaped to blend into the pitch of the main roof.

If I knew how to draw in one of these posts as I've seen others do, I would make you a drawing.
    Thank you for your reply. Though I am having a hard time picturing what you mean. Can you perhaps draw it on a piece of paper and then take a photo and post it? By the way, the top of the "tower" is not actually taller than the roof ridge. It's the same height. When I am able to post a side view, it will be more clear I think.

I also say remove the tower and stairs, then re-do the roof.
    For roof access, install a folding attic ladder instead.