+ Reply to Thread

Default Unattached patio shade solutions for condo?

Hello!

I've just bought my first condo, which comes with a lovely patio. Right now, it's covered, which is not permitted by my city. I'm being asked to remove it, but I'd love to replace it with something else. The requirements are that the patio cover not be attached to the building and that it be technically "temporary." I'd like to just cover half of it with some sort of sunbrella/canvas tent-style thing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be okay with stick some hooks into the side of my building as anchors, but it would have to be easily removable.

Thank you!

Default Re: Unattached patio shade solutions for condo?

Have you looked at Shade Sails?
    http://www.shadesails.com/

A freestanding pop-up canopy might suit your needs. My nephew uses one similarly and has bungeed it to the decking posts for wind stability- it looks and works great!

Phil

Instead of the EZ-Up, swap meet style of canopy, I would go with an actual patio canopy. The frame clicks together, then the canopy is stretched over the frame. They're heavy enough that they're not going anywhere in light winds, but light enough to deal with easily.

Umbrellas like this may also be an option:
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Are you allowed to have a freestanding arbor and can it be permanent? If so, I would build one of those. the slats of the arbor could be slanted such that they could provide an almost solid shade in the summer, or you could plant some vines, climbing roses etc to cover the arbor in summer and provide shade that way or just throw a temporary cover over the arbor for shade. The cover would be temporary even if the arbor is not.

A permanent arbor would be a structural item, like a fence so you would have to get a permit to build it, but if the city issues you a permit, then they can't turn around and ask you to remove it. It would also add to your property value so you annual property taxes would probably go up a little as well.

Maybe a gazebo might be the solution, they are technically temporary, expensive but still temporary. You don't need a permit for one of those, usually.