+ Reply to Thread

Default Spackle over one slot on gang box

Hello all. In my kitchen renovation, I have exceeded the cu in needed to not over fill three gang junction box. I do not wish to use a 4 gang box due the the aesthetics (the location is undercabinate in kitchen). I have 2 switches and an outlet. Is it against code to install a 4 gang and spackle over the one slot and place a 3 cover plate over the rest? Removing wires will not be possible without major renovation.

Default Re: Spackle over one slot on gang box

No, all boxes must be accessable.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

So, just to confirm, since the box is accessible from the other 3 spaces, it is ok to cover up the one space of a 4 gang box

It's OK to cover the unused portion with a COVER PLATE. What you need is a cover plate that has: 2 toggles, 1 rocker and 1 blank.

Go on line and search availability at cover plate distributors.

Got it. Thanks!

Or you may be able to gang together three deep metal boxes; they are available up to 3-1/2" deep, such as the Raco 601 (or Raco 603 with stud bracket). Each box has 18 cubic inches capacity, giving a total capacity for three boxes of 54 cubic inches.

You get three single-gang boxes with removable sides. Remove the sides and attach them together. You will be required to connect the ground wire to the box (just one is sufficient) in addition to any devices.

The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Another option is to install a plaster ring over a 4-gang box to reduce it to the number of fixtures you want. this is a plaster ring for a 2-gang box and single fixture:
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!