+ Reply to Thread

Default Tile over stucco

The exterior of my home is stucco, which has flat, raised areas around the doors and windows. I would like to apply decorative tile (haven't decided whether to use whole tiles or broken pieces in mosaic fashion) to these raised areas. I am in the desert, so the exterior is extremely hot in the summer and sometimes below freezing in the winter. What type of mastic and grout should I use? Does the stucco require any special preparation other than washing off dirt and loose concrete?

Default Re: Tile over stucco

Use thin set and grout. You can find them at the box stores.

I wouldn't recommend it! Odds are, the "trim" around the doors and windows is foam with a skim coat of stucco, it is doubtful that it will hold up to having the weight of tile glued to it, much less the freeze thaw cycles of seasonal changes. In addition, I can't imagine tile around doors and windows as trim being aesthetically pleasing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've seen it done, with thin set and grout, though not very popular style. The stucco must be smooth and solid enough to support the weight of the tiles - that's a given. Thinking about it, broken pieces will be easier to install.

Again, not my style, but if you like it, do it and send pics.