+ Reply to Thread

Default Tape for duct work?

OK, this just might be an absurd question, but here we go...

I just had the tape from the joints of my duct work removed. (It was asbestos.) Anyway, now I need to seal up the ducts again. I'm trying to figure out what kind of tape to buy to do this. All I can find at the hardware stores is the regular duct tape I use for all kinds of stuff and a few other specific tapes for flexible venting. Some item descriptions for duct tape do mention duct work, but it never occurred to me that duct tape might be for ducts. I never recall seeing the stuff on ducts. I guess the name would kinda make sense, though!

Do I use regular old duct tape to seal up my ducts? Or is there something else I should be using?

In a nut shell is duct tape for ducts? lol

Default Re: Tape for duct work?

Great question, and a wise move by asking before doing.

Duct tape is terrible for ducts as it will fall off in short time. What you want is actually a metal/thick foil tape specifically designed for duct work. It is strong and has a glue that actually holds. Your local hardware store or big box DIY will point your right to it.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Just confirming that aluminum tape is what you want to use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks! I picked up some aluminum tape at lowe's this afternoon and I'll be taping up tomorrow.

I didn't think I had ever seen duct tape on ductwork before!

Quote Originally Posted by orangeena View Post
    thanks! I picked up some aluminum tape at lowe's this afternoon and I'll be taping up tomorrow.

I didn't think I had ever seen duct tape on ductwork before!
    I think duct tape was originally made for ducts, but it turned out not to work very well. The heat causes the adhesive to dry out and fail.

The aluminum foil tape comes in two varieties, plain, and "Now with more fiber!" (All kidding aside, the fiber stuff has strings embedded in it that give it a little extra strength. It's typically used when building ducts made of fiberglass panels rather than sheet metal.)

Another option that's even more durable than the foil tape is duct mastic. It comes in a bucket and is about the consistency of peanut butter (creamy, not crunchy). To apply it to the duct joints, you can use a brush or don some disposable latex or nitrile exam gloves and smear it on with your hands.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.