+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot water through cold water side

When flushing toilet we get hot water out of cold water side of bathroom faucet what is the problem?

Default Re: Hot water through cold water side

When you flush the toilet, hot water comes out of the cold side in the sink? Is the cold valve shut?

This may mean that the diaphragm in the pressure balancing shower valve has broken, allowing hot water to flow into the cold water lines when there is a sudden drop in pressure such as flushing the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    When you flush the toilet, hot water comes out of the cold side in the sink? Is the cold valve shut?
    We open it to wash hands

[QUOTE=dj1;281582]When you flush the toilet, hot water comes out of the cold side in the sink? Is the cold valve close?
    Cold water valve is open going into hot water heater,we flush toilet go to wash hands turns on cold water side of faucet and get hot water out.

Check and see if the supply lines under the sink are routed correctly. That means: hot from the wall to hot side of faucet, cold from the wall to the cold side of the faucet.

Quote Originally Posted by sel84 View Post
    This may mean that the diaphragm in the pressure balancing shower valve has broken, allowing hot water to flow into the cold water lines when there is a sudden drop in pressure such as flushing the toilet.
    I think this is it- Richard showed a similar situation on ATOH The only other thing I can think of is that the pressure drop in the cold when flushing may not be dropping equally in the hot side, same as with a flush-scald shower problem, but the OP said hot was coming from the cold line so I think sel84 got it right.

Phil

When you flush the toilet, the water flows so fast that the friction in the pipes causes it to heat up?

(Didn't think so. It's probably a faulty shower valve or another single-handle faucet, as others have suggested.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I agree with sel84.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb