+ Reply to Thread

Question What kind of textured ceiling is this?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. I have found a wealth of information here and thought I would join to contribute and ask questions.

At any rate I have been working hard on my garage the last couple weeks. Getting the walls ready for painting and researching what to do about my ceiling. I am not sure if this ceiling is a popcorn ceiling or what it is. I also am not sure how thick the popcorn or (whatever it is) should be in regards to how much to sc**** off. One area I sc****d down to where a nail was.

Some information about my house. It is an attached 2 car garage and the house was built in 1977. These ceilings do not exist in the rest of the house just FYI. Just in the garage. I imagine they were trying to hide a very poor joint job.

Wetting it down seemed to take it off but still left a pattern kind of where the ceiling pattern had been. I guess I am not sure how deep this stuff usually goes. One photo you will notice I was able to sc**** down far because there was a crack in the stuff which revealed the nail. Any and all information would be helpful. I have thought about just skim coating it (which I may have to do anyway if I sc**** it).

Ceiling Images

Default Re: What kind of textured ceiling is this?

You first have to remove this ceiling, which seems to be some sort of popcorn application.

It's a labor intense process, but has to be done to enable you to apply a nicer finish.

The next step will be to fix the drywall, holes, imperfections, tape, mud and so on.

Then just finish it with your choice of ceiling.

That is not a popcorn ceiling. It's a finish that's done with taping compound. It's not going to come off.
    John

I'm with John, it looks like joint compound was smeared on heavily, which is going to be a bugger to get off. I would start with floating it out, applying thin coats of topping compound to fill in the "texture".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Looking at the photos again, it does seem to be random mud, for which skim coating could be the answer. Another solution is to replace the drywall ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Looking at the photos again, it does seem to be random mud, for which skim coating could be the answer. Another solution is to replace the drywall ceiling.
    Replacement would be my preference. Even though more material costs would be involved, the time-of-labor savings will offset that. Use only 5/8 type X fire rated sheetrock. It is now code-required for attached garage ceilings and isn't likely to be in a garage built in 1977.

Phil