+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default What style is this home?

Can someone please tell me what style this home is? It is surrounded by homes that were built in the 1890's/early 1900's. There are a lot of Victorians in the area, so I was wondering if this is a Victorian/Folk Victorian? The roof is an odd shape, and if someone knows what the roof shape is called, please let me know. I was also wondering if the columns were original to the home. I see the original porch has been replaced with a concrete one, but the columns look to have a lot of age to them. There is a spindle that looks Victorian-esque that is attached to the home under the porch...it seems out of place, unless the porch was all spindles at one time? Any information would greatly be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What style is this home?

Yup! I think so. It is kinda a Victorian style of house. It was in then a fashion during the late 1800's in particular from around the 1860's to 1890's.

Houston, TX

The spindle is likely original, though my front porch actually has spindles that are older than the house. My home is likely a contemporary to the one in your picture.
    You have a folk victorian/victorian cottage, whatever you want to call it. The square porch posts probably are not original, but may still be 30+ years old. Compare the posts to the other houses in the neighborhood.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Northern Virginia

Queen Anne cottage. Very popular in the southern US. I see yours has some finished space in the attic. Not all of them do. Built from 1890 to WW1. The ones I was familiar with had really spacious rooms, high ceilings (low floors) and a FP in about every room. I'm jealous, they are cool places.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.