+ Reply to Thread

Default collapsed stone exterior wall

the addition to our lannon stone clad home has lannon stone walls beneath 1/2 siding walls. one wall gave way and fell over, leaving all the large slabs of stone and mortar on the ground. how would I find the proper type of person to rebuild it? two of the three walls are still standing.

Default Re: collapsed stone exterior wall

ask at your local stone yard or lumber yard for some highly recommended masons. make sure to check references.

Default Re: collapsed stone exterior wall

It sounds like no ties were used between the stone and the structure. That is not a good construction practice because it allows the possibility of what happened to you- the entire wall falling away. Normal practice here is to use ties whenever the stone isn't thin and being applied to a sheet-mesk backing. That kind of support isn't enough for wider stone- you need those ties and they need to be attached to the studs, not just the sheathing.Normally ties go in at least every two vertical feet so that loss of one part of the wall will not cause failure above it with the ties doing the work.

Were I you and unable to get a fix from whoever did the work originally, I'd have the new mason go back to the other existing walls, take a few courses off the top, add the ties, then re-lay that stone too. Not as good as it should be, but that should be good enough to keep them in place. There are a few different kinds of ties, the mason will know which ones to get. I'd also have a look at the foundation for the stone walls, too. In theory, that alone should hold the wall up barring anything else happening so perhaps it failed as well. Masonary less than 100 years old should not have any problems- if it does something was probably done wrong from the start ro it is being subjected to conditions it was not meant to see.

Phil