+ Reply to Thread

Question Custom Moulding Knives

If you order custom moulding from a mill and a knife must be cut to match your existing moulding, do you get to keep the knife? I feel that since I have paid an additional fee for the knife, I should hold onto it for any moulding I might need in the future. Is this an unusual request? Thank you.
    Last edited by Painted lady; 08-11-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Custom Moulding Knives

Common sense says: keep the knife.

My local lumber yard keeps the blades but I don't pay for them. They charge me by the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    My local lumber yard keeps the blades but I don't pay for them. They charge me by the foot.
    Shops around here charge a set up fee, plus linear footage, plus custom knife. I don't think it unreasonable that the OP request that they keep the knives, however, unless the same shop is used in the future, there is no guarantee that the old knives will fit in someone else's equipment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I once ordered special cuts, for which a die cutter fabricated five dies. These dies were used in his giant press.

After the job was done he asked me to keep the dies, saying that he would probably misplace them and won't find them when we need them again. And besides, he said, I paid for them.

I would think that your custom knife is the same.

The place near my house, is CLark's Lumber 713-862-6628 They can ship anywhere.

Great guys working in this old school millwork.

Thank you all for your helpful information. Unfortunately, the mill does not want to give me the custom blade that we paid $300 for. I wanted to know if by asking for the knife, I was out of line. I suspect, but can't prove, that they may have just charged me for a new blade and used one they all ready had. When I placed my order, even though the moulding was pretty basic (but not basic enough to buy it off the shelf), the mill wouldn't check their existing stock of knives. I'm concerned that I will show up in a few years, needing more moulding cut, and have them wanting to charge for another knife because they "can't find" ours.... It sounds like I should at least make another attempt to either get the knife or be reimbursed. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Painted lady; 08-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Well your situation is very common and I would say that most mills would do the same. There are other alternatives for you in the future. You could have the knives made by someone like myself, (do a web search for moulding knives there are many of us out there). Then you would own the knives and use whatever mill you wanted to. A few things to think about before you go this route, what type of moulder will product be ran on, hook angles of cutter heads, diameter of moulder cutter heads. Most of us that do this type of work should ask you those question first. If I can be of any further assistance please fee free to contact www.mirror-reflections.com.
    All the best

Were it me, I'd want either the knives or my $300 back. The only acceptable alternative would be for the millwork shop to sign a legal contract with me agreeing that they will not charge me for those knives in the future even of they lose them or they get damaged, that they will not be used on anyone else's orders, and that in the event of a business sale or closure the knives will be delivered to me without charge.

Some mills keep them and keep track of them, some do not. The bottom line here is that you paid for the knives to be made, and what they are wanting to do is have them on hand to match the next order which they can now sell cheaper than the next guy since they now have those knives. This is a common practice since you are probably not the only one with that molding. If it was shop-made there's a lot of it out there somewhere; if it was site-planed that carpenter did more houses the same way. So from their pooint of view, having those knives gives them a business advantage.

Unless you signed a contract that says otherwise, the knives probably belong to you, but you'll need to check with an attorney to be sure.

Phil