+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Custom Moulding Knives

If you order custom moulding from a mill and a knife must be cut to match your existing moulding, do you get to keep the knife? I feel that since I have paid an additional fee for the knife, I should hold onto it for any moulding I might need in the future. Is this an unusual request? Thank you.
    Last edited by Painted lady; 08-11-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Custom Moulding Knives

Common sense says: keep the knife.

My local lumber yard keeps the blades but I don't pay for them. They charge me by the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    My local lumber yard keeps the blades but I don't pay for them. They charge me by the foot.
    Shops around here charge a set up fee, plus linear footage, plus custom knife. I don't think it unreasonable that the OP request that they keep the knives, however, unless the same shop is used in the future, there is no guarantee that the old knives will fit in someone else's equipment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I once ordered special cuts, for which a die cutter fabricated five dies. These dies were used in his giant press.

After the job was done he asked me to keep the dies, saying that he would probably misplace them and won't find them when we need them again. And besides, he said, I paid for them.

I would think that your custom knife is the same.

The place near my house, is CLark's Lumber 713-862-6628 They can ship anywhere.

Great guys working in this old school millwork.