+ Reply to Thread

Red face stone shower smells

I recently added a bath and had the shower stall built out of stone. This is also a steam shower. I have found that after bathing, I leave the door open afterwards, there is a faint foul odor. My addition involved adding a second septic tank which I do not think is causing the smell. Anyway I have to use a strong cleaner, made for stone, to try and eliminate the smell and this is about three times a week. I am thinking the stone was not sealed properly which causes the smell but am not sure. Would appreciate some advise before calling in the stone folks to have them redo or reseal this shower.

Nashville, TN

Default Re: stone shower smells

The entire shower shouldn't be used for 48 hours and add a small space heater to the area to make sure that is really is dry. You can always take the lid off of the drain and stuff part of a rag down it to keep any funny smells from coming up.

Use plain old white viniger to clean the entire after the 48 hours. The viniger will kill and netralize and smells and mold.

Now you can seal it with a stone, granite, floor sealer. But make sure the increased heat and steam won't take the sealant right off. I would be best to go to a granite/marble store (sells countertops) to get the correct type of sealant.

Good luck. Process of Elimination.
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

Default Re: stone shower smells

sealing natural stone is much easier then most people think. simply clean with denatured alchol then use a high quality sealer. you can go to granquartz.com and buy the very same ones that I use. follow the directions on the container. I would also double check to make sure that it isn't odors coming from the drain.