+ Reply to Thread

Default The grout keeps coming out in the kitchen, is there an additive/glue to use

In the kitchen there are ceramic floor tiles 12x12. Either the floor is settling or the tiles were put down wrong years ago. The kitchen, guest bath and laundry share the same area and tile, so you can't just change one area without the other. (Skip to "Question", bottom if you don't need details)

Problem: Some tiles are cracked and the grout falls out. I had it professionally cleaned and the grout replaced where it needed it. I then sealed it so the grout won't get dirty. With very little usage the grout is starting to flake or brake off in certain areas. I would redo the kitchen tiles but found out that the same tiles ($6.00 ea) are now 1/4 inch smaller then the ones I have so I can just replace one or two tiles but redo the whole kitchen. But that would mean I would have to tear out the bathroom, laundry and kitchen to replace all the tiles when only the kitchen has problems. There really isn't a good place to start to retile without redoing it all.

Question: Is there an additive/glue I can add to the grout to keep it from falling out again?

Thanks
    Last edited by Moderncat; 08-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Default Re: The grout comes coming out on the kitchen floor is there some kind of additive to

if you have cracked tiles and grout coming out the problem can not just be repaired. to answer your question, they do make grout add-mix which you use instead of water which works better at keeping the grout somewhat flexible.

now to the big issue. why is the grout and tile cracking.....possible reasons.

wrong thinset/mortar
    wrong tile base, either plywood or something else besides cementboard
    floor joists are of inadequate size and causing floor deflection
    no cross bracing between floor joists causing floor deflection
    tile laid over hardwood flooring
    poor tile job

if it's any of these reasons you're going to continue to have these issues no matter what you do.

Default Re: The grout comes coming out on the kitchen floor is there some kind of additive to

if it's any of these reasons you're going to continue to have these issues no matter what you do.
    Yes it's one of those I suspect considering the house was built in the early 1900s so I figured instead of adding support that will raise the floor a bit then having it uneven with the original hardwood floors it was probably done wrong. But since it's a beautiful rental we are going to wait until more tiles crack (approx 4 are cracked) and it becomes a complete mess then we will trash it all and do it right.

What is this additive/ water replacement called? and is it found at Home Depot (closest to me)? Or is it called add mix?

It's called Admix.

You can go to johnbrighetileforum, post your question and get professional help.

And tell them that Houston sent you.

You guys are beating me to the punch here. I must be getting slower in my old age.

You have deflection issues as the floor structure wasn't built to handle tile. From here it sounds like a complete re-do. And yes, the fine folks at the John Bridge Tile Forum can help you. Take bunch of pics and start your own thread