+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing a Glued Down Wood Floor from concrete sub

For various reasons, my husband and I are removing the glued down wood floors in our den and replacing them with a floating wood floor. It's turned into the project from hell. Does anyone have suggestions for making the removal ANY easier? Know it's going to be hard, but anything would be helpful!

Default Re: Removing a Glued Down Wood Floor from concrete sub

for some tasks there are not really any shortcuts. aside from the tools you decide to use for prying it up and scraping the concrete clean, there's really no trick to it.

some tools to try for this job.

4' steel pry-bar with a spade tip
    spade shovel, like the one used for edging your grass
    hand held electric hammer drill with a spade bit, you can rent one for a day or two
    floor sc****r for removing the glue after the flooring is up
    hammer and a flat bar
    shingle removal shovel, like the one used to strip a roof

good luck

MLB gave you the bad news, he sure did.

But there is some good news: you will build muscles, find out that you have patience and say things you never knew you could say.

Once the old material is up, if the glue is gooey, rent a linoleum stripper, which is basically a power scr-aper. It will chisel up the glue fairly easily, though you will have to clean the knife regularly. As for tearing everything up, the tools outlined above are about your only choices, short of hiring someone to do the demo for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!