+ Reply to Thread

Default Concealing exposed Romex cables properly?

I have 3 loose Romex 12-2 w/ground cables (2 white, 1 black both NM) running from holes in the floor of a second story bedroom closet through the ceiling and into a hole in the attic floor. They are not stapled to the walls - merely hanging there.
    Both nearby walls are loadbearing - one is the exterior wall with chimney and the other has double 2X4s at the top. The closet entry is almost flush with the corner and I don't like the idea of drilling holes through the tops of either of these walls.
    My first thought was to bundle the wires together, put them in some type of sheath and attach it to the corner of the closet where the two walls meet. This appears to be against the code as the wires might overheat inside conduit. Another thought was to nail a 1X4 (would drywall be more fireproof?) on top of them from floor to ceiling (crosssection would be a triangle) as this would protect them but this brings up the overheating question.
    Any suggestions? Can they be safely run in large conduit? Thanks!

Default Re: Concealing exposed Romex cables properly?

they way they are now is illegal and a hazard. ideally they should be rerouted through the wall but the second best option is to run them in a piece of metal conduit. you could also box them in from floor to ceiling with a few 1x2's or 1x3's. over heating is not a concern with any of these methods.

If they're attached to outlets, I don't see how you can put them into conduit. Your other option is to box them. If they have a slack, place the box in the corner of the closet, out of the way.

Degree of difficulty: 2 on a scale of 5.

As MLB and dj1 have already stated boxing them in appears to be the best option.

Since you will have six current carrying conductors the temperature correction for Romex will be 80% of 30A (24A) so you're still in no dange of overheating the cables.

However, due to a special note for Romex you're still limited to no more than a 20A breaker.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks for the responses! The on-line post which I had read prior to my original post concerned running Romex in conduit OUTSIDE the house but it did mention inductive heating which I keyed in on. Apparently the NEC does not allow a raceway 'Romex' within a raceway in exterior conditions due to possible dampness. Mine is all inside so that part is moot. They didn't provide the actual sections of the NEC.
    My original thoughts were to slice open a piece of plastic conduit from end to end, stuffing the Romex inside, bolting the conduit to the wall and then painting it to match the closet walls. It would provide the required protection for the Romex and also alert any future home owners that something important may be inside and they should be a little careful before cutting into it. In my younger, stupider days I probably would not have thought twice about cutting into a bump out.
    So what do you think? Sliced conduit or 1X3s? I had a fire inside a junction box (not my work!) one time so I am a little paranoid.
    Thanks again!

Sliced conduit or build a 1x3 box? either way will do. Done correctly and not pierced by a nail or a screw - it's safe.

Just a note: Romax (white or yellow) is for indoor use. For outdoor, they make a more expensive gray Romax.

ROMEX® Cable and NM Cable are not appropriate for outdoor use per NEC 334.12(b). You can now have free access to the NEC at http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standa...e=code&code=70.

This answer is intended to apply to Romex® Brand NM Cable. For other NM cables, please check with those respective brand suppliers or cable manufacturers. Romex® is a Registered Trademark of Southwire Company.

This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.